Tuesday 10 May 2016

Spring into Summer

May arrived with its typical weather - lots of rain and sunshine! We had such a cold start and I'd noticed this particularly with the plants, they just didn't want to grow! 
With open gardens fast approaching I'd been walking around my borders and beds willing the plants to grow, but then we had a bit of a tropical spell so I walked round again willing them to hold off!
As it turned out they looked great for the weekend of open gardens. 


 


We had such a wonderful event - raising over £7000 and welcoming up to 1000 visitors. Never in. Y wildest dreams did I imagine we have had 100's of people in the garden...


We've had obviously been slogging away on the external landscaping in the weeks leading up to May 29/30th and although there was a fair amount of pressure, it was good to have a deadline. 
We were quite realistic about it all though and knew that we wouldn't have a finished garden (if there is such a thing?) but felt confident that as part of 11 gardens opening we would be an interesting contribution as a new garden. 

We still have a fair bit to do in the garden and of course not forgetting the front driveway - our most asked question is "when will the driveway be completed?" - it simply has to be the last thing as once the gravel is down we don't want diggers and lorries driving up it, but I do feel it's time - we do look rather unkept and as I'm very involved in 'Pebworth In Bloom' feel a tad embarrassed!

Things have slowed in the house as now there are only a few snagging items to be done and we have a new deadline! Our good friends from Germany are coming to stay again at the end of September - they were our first guests in the house and helped to finish the kitchen. This time we have a garden project for them and a textile workshop planned...

Maple Barn Studio is getting busier and I have 5 workshops booked so far. I'm full of inspiration and am looking forward to a well earned rest in August when I hope to get more creative time.

I went on a wonderful print workshop myself last week at Rapture and Wright. We designed a 'block' (in this instance a linocut) and worked out a repeat pattern. Cut a stencil and added this to a screen.
I printed my design onto a really thick linen fabric and plan to make two cushions 

Have a look at  http://raptureandwright.co.uk if you are interested.

 



Contact me at maplebarnstudio@gmail.com if you are interested in y workshops.

Will be back here soon with more news... In the meantime thank you for reading our blog and share it with your friends and family.

Wendi x

No comments:

Post a Comment