Thursday 7 April 2016

March Madness & April Showers

Another 2 months have passed and we have been beavering away- taking advantage of the good weather, lighter nights and really getting on with the exterior landscaping.
First of all We had a digger and powered wheelbarrow and took out a skip full of the horrid clay replacing it with 6 tonnes of lovely dark top soil. Once that went in I could start with the planting - I'd been planning this for a while and had drawn up exact plans. It's hard to resist just filling every space as even a single perennial can go from a tiny plug plant to a foot across in one growing season so I'm restraining myself - I am totally obsessed with buying plants though!!!
We have also added a small box (buxus sempervivum) along the top edge of the lawn and sleepers. Fingers crossed we aren't attacked by the newest pest in the UK the box tree caterpillar and/or box blight  that would be an expensive problem! 











Our Indian flagstones were delivered from Cowley Stone just before Good Friday and we invited a few friends round to help or supervise! It was likely that we'd have too many bodies as its a slow process laying flagstones but we kept them happy with cups of tea and beer! 
The weather did hold off that day but we weren't so lucky for the next few days so progressed slowed again.. 
But the terrace is looking fabulous, it's far larger than I anticipated and we will have to have a huge table and lots of chairs for outdoor entertaining.  There are a few positions around where the sun is at different points during the day so we'll need quite a few seats!


Richard and Raffe preparing to lay the first flagstones

Tea break & lots of discussion...


Richard and Alex working in the rain!



Also this month I've planted trees that I've always wanted. It's hard enough to resist plants but trees.... - I do have to consider the mature tree size but I think I've room for a few more?! So far I've planted a Eucalyptus paciflora niphophila, a Ginko Biloba, and Prunus Amanagowa. 

We plan on finishing the veranda area - when it rains we take cover and work here! All the joists are now in place and this weekend we'll use the scaffold boards that were once surrounding the house as a decked area - got to love a bit of upcycling especially when there's a story! 


I'm really looking forward to this as it'll be a really valuable space to watch the sunset and drink a glass of fizz or 2!


I'm looking for some quirky seating and have lots of styling ideas..I do already have these lights though!

One of our chickens died this week leaving behind Gladys Emanuelle a buff Orpington so we went to the fabulous Newland Poultry near Malverm & bought 2 new chickens - an Amber Star called Marilyn and a Copper Star called Ruby.
 

Here's Marilyn enjoying the garden - she's super friendly!

Also this week I ran my first print and stitch workshop, I was apprehensive as the entry up to the studio is still a bit muddy and I felt the studio wasn't "finished" enough etc etc but decided to bite the bullet and it was fantastic. I had three ladies who enjoyed printing and stitching and a nice lunch to boot! 
I'm now getting the next one ready...email maplebarnstudio@gmail.com if interested?





 I'll sign off now - loads to be getting on with, I love being busy!

See you in May!

Wendi x









No comments:

Post a Comment