Wednesday 26 March 2014

Slow Progress

As you may be able to tell from the blog title this month things are getting me down - I don't usually react in such a personal way but keeping cheerful and positive is just get a tad waring at the moment!!

Our house is stunning- I know this, we are sooo lucky- I know this too ..sometimes it just doesn't help

The cladding is almost done and looks incredible, there's one full face left to do and then all the fiddly bits around windows, edges etc
The garage now has a concrete floor - good job really as all our stuff comes out of storage on Friday and will have to live in there until we are ready. I am looking forward to this as it's been 474 days or 67.7 weeks or 16 months not that I've been counting you understand!!!
We questioned whether missing my "stuff" made me materialistic? but then we realised that it's not just "stuff" it's our history - things we've collected, saved for, made.. from Photograph albums as well as practical things like clothes to saucepans!! I think we've managed to live without some of the more luxury items we have like surround sound TV etc but 6 months in a caravan taught me to love the porcelain toilet and the power shower LOL!!!!

"So what's left to do?" and "when do you think you'll be in?.." seem to be the most popular questions we are asked. the answer I'm afraid is the same as "how longs a piece of string?" - honestly, I really did think we'd be in for Christmas and then the end of January and then Easter - I'm not convinced now.
Richard and I had a walk around the house listing all the things left to do and it's HUGE. 
We need to prioritise things like hot water and heating over fitting the kitchen units although I've made a start and tiling bathrooms. 
We can, once this is done camp out in the house in a fashion but we are truly comfortable in the studio with all mod cons it just feels frustrating literally being able to touch it but not have it.. 

Anyway, our floor tiles arrived on Monday, all 85 boxes of them! The whole of the ground floor will be done with these wood style walnut porcelain tiles - they are 1200mm x 150mm so literally look like planks of wood but offer the best heat retention with underfloor heating. 
Painting is almost finished - just a few very high bits to be done that I cant reach. The doors and skirting arrive on Thursday and my Dad is going to hang them all for us.
We have lights and sockets and switches non of which are on/up yet.. as you can see the list is endless

Interestingly as we've built an airtight eco house and we haven't got the ventilation system in place yet (Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation System click here for more info) we have noticed the walls were going mouldy!! Turns out its because there's no air flow in the house. Luckily with some gorgeous spring weather we've had all doors and windows open and resolved the problem (combined with some bleach!!) so that's also on the priority list

So I'm off to buy some floor tile adhesive as we're making a start on the utility room floor this evening so we can get the hot water thermal storage tank installed - another priority.

But IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT.. sorry did I shout that? ;-)

The photos are below this time, the internet is painfully slow and I've been trying to upload this blog since 0930 its now lunchtime! BT broadband 2nd april - can't wait!!!!


Back as soon as I have anything to share

Wendi xx












No comments:

Post a Comment